What better on a cold wintry day than a piping hot bowl of chicken zoodle soup! Chicken noodle soup was always a favorite of my family during these cold winter months, but unfortunately the noodles are a no go for a low carb,paleo, keto lifestyle. In this recipe I have adapted my traditional chicken noodle soup to give you the best nutritional value without the carbs. Not only is this soup delicious and nutritious, but it is so easy to put together, especially if you have some homemade bone broth on hand and some leftover chicken.
Chicken Zoodle Soup
If you like to meal prep like I do, you can literally throw this together in 10 minutes. What could be easier? Once a week, I chop all my veggies and package them in little ziplock bags so that they are ready during the busy work week. Who needs an expensive meal service when you can do it yourself once a week. Because this recipe is for those of us following a keto lifestyle, I have limited the amounts of onions and carrots. However, if you are low carb and can tolerate more daily carbs, feel free to add in more onion and carrots. Modification for AIP diet : Omit the onions and add more carrots and celery.
I can’t tell you how much I enjoy spiralizing. I spiralize zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, carrots and daikon radish. Spiralized veggies are so fun to make! I like to turn on some happy music and spiral all my veggies for the week. They can be used in salads, as a side with sauce, or in a soup like our chicken zoodle soup. You can even chop up the leftover cores and make a nice vegetable broth. These little spiralizing machines are fairly inexpensive and a real game changer for anyone on a healthy low carb diet.
How to Make Chicken Zoodle Soup
- 2 cups of spiralized zucchini
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- ¼ cup diced onion (omit if on AIP diet)
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup diced carrots
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 4 cups bone broth ( I use my homemade bone broth but you can always get the ready prepared as well)
- 1 cup diced chicken ( I like to use leftover rotisserie chicken )
- Spiralize 2 cups of zuchinni
- Place diced onion, celery and carrots in a medium pot and saute with avocado oil until the vegetables are just starting to brown.
- Add in salt, pepper and thyme.
- Stir in bone broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add in chicken and zoodles and simmer for another few minutes until the zoodles are softened.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
Spiralize 2 cups of zuchinni
Heat avocado oil in a medium sized pot
Add onion, celery and carrot. Saute for a few minutes until tender.
Add salt, pepper and thyme to the vegetable mix and saute a few more minutes.
Add bone broth to the vegetable mixture and bring to a boil.
Turn down heat to a simmer and add zucchini noodles and diced chicken.
Simmer until zoodles are soft.