I have to be honest and say that one of my favorite foods is chocolate. When I first started the ketogenic way of eating, I thought I would have to give up a lot of my comfort foods. Yes! I did give up sugar, processed foods, grains, most fruits except for limited amounts of berries and high carb vegetables. Little did I know I also had to give up dairy too ( though I have been known to cheat a little on this, I love cheese!) This new recipe for Chocolate Raspberry Clafoutis is not only dairy free, grain free, and low carb, but it is also a satisfying chocolatety treat that is insanely easy to make.
What is a Clafoutis
I know some of you are thinking, “What in the world is a clafoutis?” Well a “clafoutis” is a traditional French dessert that I first learned to make all those many many years ago when I was living in Paris. After graduating with my Bachelor of Fine Arts, I decided to head off to Paris. I purchased a one way ticket since that was all I could afford at the time. I didn’t speak a word of French, didn’t know anyone, had no clue what I was going to do, but nevertheless I took the plunge! This is when I first discovered my love for delicious locally sourced foods prepared with care and intention.
You might think that this elegant French dessert is too difficult for you , but rest assured it is one of the easiest I have ever made. Just throw the ingredients into a blender, add berries, bake and Voila! You will have an amazing classic French dessert to take to parties and gatherings. Before Keto, I would have made this with sugar, cream and flour but since those are off limits to us on low carb diets, I have a dairy free Ketofied version for you.
How to Make a Chocolate Raspberry Clafoutis
What you Need
- Tart pans ( My two tart pans are from a flea market in Paris 8″ and 6″, but you can use whatever you have )
- Plastic Strainer (optional) this is for sifting the powdered Keto sweetener – I use plastic because I also use these for making water kefir.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ⅓ cup Lakanto powdered monkfruit sweetener
- 1 cup finely ground almond flour
- ⅛ teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder ( I use 1 Tbs raw cacao and 1 Tbs Valrhona cocoa powder )
- Coconut oil or Avocado oil non stick spray
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Place in your blender all ingredients except for the berries
- Spray your tart pans with non stick spray
- Pour batter into tart pans
- Gently place your fresh raspberries
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes until set
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes
- Place a small amount of Lakanto powdered sweetener into strainer and gently sift on top of the clafoutis to add that extra special touch. (optional)
Other Desserts You May Enjoy!