Low Carb Chicken Lo Mein
I can’t tell you how much I have been craving an asian stir fried noodle dish. This dish is not only easy, but it really satisfies those noodle cravings without all the carbohydrates. The key ingredient is zucchini noodles or “Zoodles” as we low carb eaters like to call them. I like to make the “zoodles” in advance and keep a few cups at a time refrigerated so that they are ready in a pinch.
How to Make “Zoodles”
- One of the first things you will need is a spiralizer. They are fairly inexpensive and one of my favorite kitchen tools.
- Peel your zucchini ( You can leave the skin on, but I find the flavor and texture is better when they are peeled)
- Cut the ends off.
- Place the zucchini into the spiralizer and start turning the handle.
- Yes! It’s that simple – Now you have the perfect healthy low carb noodle for all your favorite dishes
Meal Prep Tips for Low Carb Chicken Lo Mein
Low carb chicken lo mein is a pretty quick dish to make; the secret is too prepare all the “zoodles” and vegetables in advance. I also like to prepare the chicken in advance with the marinade and put it into sandwich baggies so that they are easy peasy to use. I also stick a few bags in the freezer for those times when I just don’t feel like putting in the effort to cook, so that I always have something on hand to make a satisfying meal.
Ingredients for Chicken Marinade
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos ( I have gluten sensitivity so can not use soy sauce )
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Instructions for Chicken Marinade
- In a small bowl combine all the marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Place sliced chicken thighs into the marinade and stir until all the chicken is covered
- Set aside chicken while you work on the rest of the dish
Ingredients for Chicken Lo Mein
- 6 cups zucchini noodles ( about 3-4 zucchini depending on size)
- 3/4 cup julienned shitake mushrooms ( you can use another type of mushroom, but I prefer the flavor of shitakes for this dish)
- 1 tablespoon green onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of broccoli , coarsely chopped
- 1 pound chicken thighs , sliced
- 1/2 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon Ume plum vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Instructions for Chicken Lo Mein
- Melt coconut oil in a large wok or skillet until hot
- Add mushrooms, broccoli and green pepper and stir fry until just tender, approximately 4-5 minutes ( salt and pepper to taste)
- Add sliced marinated chicken and cook a few minutes until done
- Place the zucchini noodles one cup at a time into mixture ( the noodles will quickly lose volume as they cook so that you can add more )
- Add in the green onion and ume plum vinegar
- Cook throughly until noodles are soft and moisture from zucchini has cooked off
- Take noodles off heat and drizzle with the toasted sesame oil