It’s that time of the season again, when the leaves start to fall and temperatures start to cool. As I am transitioning to my sweaters and getting out my cozy blankets and throws, my thoughts turn to food. Let’s be honest, my thoughts often turn to food irregardless of what season it is. But what a good excuse to celebrate with a mini ketogenic, low carb pumpkin pie. This low carb pumpkin pie recipe can easily be dairy free as well with a few substitutions. What a perfect fall treat to end a day spent organizing my closet!
Low Carb Pumpkin Pie
This easy recipe can be made in a silicon cupcake mold as shown for an elegant holiday presentation or event. It can also be made in parchment cupcake liners for portable individualized servings that you can throw in the freezer, or you can make a full size pumpkin pie. ( you will have to adjust your bake time accordingly) Sometimes, I just make the filling – which is so delicious on it’s own and bake it in the cupcake liners for a quick treat. Most important is to let the pies cool in the refrigerator before eating. I know that this will be hard since they smell so scrumptious right out of the oven, but the wait is worth it. I promise you!
Making the Crust
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup melted grass fed butter ( Dairy Free : coconut oil, butter flavored coconut oil or avocado oil )
- 1- 1/2 tablespoons of Monksweet or your sweetener of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl or food processor, combine almond and coconut flour, sweetener, vanilla and melted butter or coconut oil ( I use a food processor because it is quicker for me but that is just my preference )
- Mix until combined. Should have the consistency or crumbly wet sand.
- Using your fingers press into the bottom of your molds, cupcake liners or pie pan. I use about 1/2 tablespoon of the crust mixture per mini pie, but you can vary it depending on how thick you like your crust.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes for the small pies and adjust for longer cooking time if you are making a large pie.
Making the Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup Monksweet or preferred sweetener
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- In a large mixing bowl combine all filling ingredients.
- Mix well. ( I find sometimes there are lumps in the batter that won’t dissolve even with the most vigorous mixing. In this case, I will often set the batter aside for 10 minutes and with a quick mix the lumps will have incorporated themselves into the batter.
- Portion batter and pour on top of your pre-baked crust. ( I use a portion scoop for ease and convenience )
- Bake at 325 degrees F for approximately 30 minutes for the mini pies. ( If you are making a large pie you will have to increase your baking time accordingly)
- After cooling, refrigerate for at least one hour. Best served chilled. (Optional: Top with Whipped heavy cream or coconut cream)
Other Desserts You May Enjoy