Do you need immediate and cooling relief for a sunburn? Or in my case, are you undergoing radiation treatment for cancer? This simple, yet effective water based spray will aid you in comfort and recovery. I developed this home made recipe before I started my radiation treatment and used it several times a day to alleviate the burning and to help keep the skin healed.
Sunburn and Radiation Relief Spray
This sunburn and radiation relief spray is easy to make and only contains two ingredients. It is pure, natural and will soothe the most sensitive skin without any toxic and irritating chemicals. Not only did I use it for my radiation burns, but I also gave some to my son who spent the whole summer as a lifeguard and he loved it. And believe me, summers here in Texas can be brutal. The two main ingredients in this sunburn relief spray are aloe vera gel and calendula.
Aloe Vera Gel
- Aloe vera has been used for centuries as treatment for sunburn
- Helps the skin to repair and heal quicker because of its many antioxidant properties
- Forms a protective barrier on the skin and helps to keep it moisturized
- Contains the hormone Gibberellin which stimulates the growth of new cells allowing the skin to heal quickly and naturally
- Stimulates production of collagen at wound sites to speed healing and minimize scarring
- Antibacterial properties to prevent infection in open wounds
- Powerful anti inflammatory properties
- Helps to improve blood flow and oxygen to wounds which helps skin heal faster
- More effective than most recommended creams at reducing and preventing dermatitis caused by radiation – Journal of Clinical Oncology
How To Make Sunburn and Radiation Relief Spray
- Place dried calendula flowers and water into a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Strain the flowers and reserve liquid.
- Let calendula water cool to room temperature.
- Use metal funnel to fill glass spray bottle with aloe vera gel and calendula water. 1:1 ratio
- Store in refrigerator and spray on skin as needed for relief.
Where to Source Ingredients
I have included Amazon links to the products I have used in the past for your convenience, but now I prefer to order most of my skin care supplies and essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs in Oregon. I really like supporting a small business and their products are of a very high quality.
During the week, I used this spray faithfully after each session of radiation and before bed. Then on Friday right after radiation treatment, I would use my oil based severe burn ointment. I would use the burn ointment several times a day to moisturize and protect the skin further up until Sunday night. Then I would switch back to the water based sunburn and radiation relief spray for the rest of the week. This protocol really helped me through my radiation treatment even though by the end of my 33 sessions my skin was pretty red and peeling. By the last week when I was receiving my boost, I was in a lot of pain and I would hate to see the state of my skin if I hadn’t used my radiation spray.