Not for everyday, but sometimes you just crave something special. It may be a birthday, holiday or just a “I need to treat myself” day. If you are following a low carb or ketogenic diet, cupcakes may seem like a big cheat. Well not these! They are not only completely ketogenic, but also dairy free. And did I mention, these are cupcakes! That in itself is a cause for celebration.
Dairy Free Ketogenic Vanilla Cupcakes
I have been experimenting with ketogenic baking quite a bit and it has been a struggle to get a cupcake that is both moist and delicious without the addition of some kind of dairy. Being dairy free, I accepted the challenge and here is my version. The dark chocolate frosting was a bit tricky, as most are made from cream cheese or some other kind of forbidden dairy. Being picky as I am, I also wanted a frosting that would stay firm and stable at room temperature. You can prepare these in advance for any occasion and they will not melt. Hope you enjoy it!
- Mix together all your wet ingredients ( eggs, mayo, avocado oil, water, vanilla and almond extract) into a large stainless steel bowl.
- Whisk in your baking powder, salt and monksweet sweetener. ( I use this brand because in my opinion it has the best taste. It is a blend of stevia, monk fruit and erythritol.)
- Gradually add in your coconut flour and mix until there are no longer lumps in the batter.
- Place your silicon cupcake tray on top of a regular baking tray. (Please don’t skip this step or you will regret it, I learned the hard way and had batter all over the kitchen floor and cabinets!)
- Portion out your batter with your trusty scoop or if you don’t have one each portion is 1 and 5/8 ounces.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F. for about 20-25 minutes or until the middle springs back when you touch it.
- Set aside to cool. Okay , at this point I usually have to try one. Just to make sure that they are good of course!
Dark Chocolate Frosting
This frosting is simple and only needs two ingredients. It is important that you use Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips and a heavy coconut cream. I don’t like the extra steps of refrigerating my coconut milk to skim off the cream, so I looked all over and found Heavy Coconut Cream which works beautifully for this recipe.
- Weigh out your chocolate chips on a food scale. A very good investment if you don’t already have one.
- Heat up your coconut cream in a saucepan until it just bubbles. ( Do not boil or it will get too hot and your frosting will separate)
- Pour your coconut cream over the chocolate and whisk continuously until thick and glossy.
- Set aside to set up, 10 minutes
- Transfer to a piping bag and frost your cupcakes.
I usually will put extras, if there are any in a small sandwich bag and freeze. Then I can take one out when I feel like celebrating with a dairy free ketogenic treat. Please let me know how these turned out for you.
Ketogenic Vanilla Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Frosting
I have been experimenting with ketogenic baking quite a bit and it has been a struggle to get a cupcake that is both moist and delicious without the addition of some kind of dairy. Being dairy free, I accepted the challenge and here is my version. Hope you enjoy it!
- 5 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoons almond extract
- 1/2 tablespoons Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 cup Monksweet
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
Dark Chocolate Frosting
- 9 ounces Lily's Dark Chocolate Chips
- 13.5 ounces Heavy Coconut Cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Mix eggs, oil, mayonnaise, extracts, and water into a large mixing bowl
Whisk in salt, baking powder and monksweet.
Slowly add in your coconut flour while mixing. Keep mixing until the coconut flour is well incorporated and there are no lumps. Sometimes if it is super lumpy, I will set the batter aside while I make the frosting and when I come back to it the lumps are gone.
Place your silicone cupcake tray on top of a normal baking tray. (Don't skip this step or you will learn the hard way like me)
Portion out the batter with a scoop or if you don't have one it is about 1 5/8 ounces per portion.
Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until the middle springs back when you touch it.
Dark Chocolate Frosting
Weigh out your chocolate chips into a small stainless steel mixing bowl.
Heat your coconut cream over medium heat until it just starts to bubble, do not let it boil ( if the cream gets to hot it will cause the frosting to separate)
Pour your coconut cream into bowl with chocolate chips and whisk.
Keep whisking until the chocolate is all melted and your mixture looks uniform and glossy
Set aside for it to cool and once cool, transfer into your piping bag and frost those delicious cupcakes.
You can individually freeze these and take them out to defrost as you need.